problem: Firefox history and bookmarks are not displayed
I had an issue with Firefox 97.0.1 (64-bit) whereby I could not see history or bookmarks.
CTRL+B bookmarks and CTRL+H history panels were empty, and CTRL+SHIFT+O Library window was also empty. Strangely the bookmarks bar CTRL+SHIFT+B was showing its bookmarks.
When I exported bookmarks via the empty Library, I could see in the raw file that the bookmarks were still present, so it appeared to be a display issue not a data issue.
I'd recently had to force close (via task manager) the browser a few times because something was causing instability during browser startup. I suspect it was some tabs trying to access files on a smb share that was currently offline. This may of contributed
impact: not able to access history or bookmarksFor some people this loss or inaccessibility could mean a major productivity kill on current or historic research. The loss of bookmarks could mean a lot of time, effort and research could be gone.
solution: start/restart Firefox in Troubleshooting Mode aka Safe Mode
- WARNING ⚠⚠⚠ Don't click on "Refresh Firefox" on the following prompt.
- Prior to launching Firefox hold the SHIFT key to launch the browser in troubleshooting mode.
- Click "Open" button.
- Firefox will load up with extensions disabled and I'm assuming runs some settings and/or data integrity checks and clean up routines.
- Once fully loaded, Exit Firefox.
- Launch Firefox as normal and see if the issue is resolved.
An alternative way to restart Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode is to browser to
about:profiles and use the provided buttons: